New York in the Fall

I flew up on thursday morning, the official beginning of my fall break, and just got back today. My house is a mess, I haven't done any of my homework, and I'm still breathing and living New York in the fall. If you haven't been there for this particular season you should go. this fall since it was a little warm, it was weird- people were wearing shorts and t-shirts. I brought all 3/4 and long sleeved stuff but was determined to wear it, because, after all, it's mid-Oct in the Northeast. It's a little ridiculous.

Since the boyfriend was not on fall break, I actually had a while to just wander around the city on my own. Which I love to do anyway. That's actually one advantage to my friends having real jobs is that I do have some alone time. I did a whole lot and walked around 75-80 blocks total. I walked a lot. But that's not the point.

The New York Public Library. I went on the tour (offered M-F 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.) I highly recommend this. because you will be overwhelmed walking into that beautiful building on 42nd and 5th Ave. Patience and Fortitude sit overlooking 5th avenue, patiently waiting for something to happen. Usually people are gathered on the steps. When I was there, the Harlem breakdancers were in front, doing their usual routines and collecting money. When you walk into the giant marble lobby, you are immediately in awe of what went into the most important public library in the world. The names on the wall are amazing- Astor, Vanderbilt, Ford, Kennedy, Carnegie and so many others carved into Vermont white marble. I want to point out that NYPL rejected nearly 60% of the marble sent in as not being up to their standards. Are you wondering where it went? To Massachusetts, where it is now the Harvard Medical School. Apparently their standards weren't so high. the tour lasts about an hour, but is AMAZING and will show you why libraries are so important.

The Guggenheim Collection. 89th and 5th Avenue. I had never been to this collection, only walked by the beautiful building designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. what I need to point out first, is that, coincidence or not, the High Art Museum in Atlanta is designed the same way inside, with a giant rotunda and a single path going up seven stories. The collection is amazing. Currently Richard Prince is on display there and I really enjoyed his exhibit. But if you aren't a fan of whoever is on exhibit there permanent collection is chock full of beautiful modern pieces- Kandinsky, Rothko, Picasso, Matisse. It's wonderful. And while their admission is 15 dollars with your student id, it includes a great audio tour thing.

The Met. 81st and Central Park east. You have to go here if you're touring New York at all. Its got EVERYTHING going for it. If you're going up sometime soon make sure to hit the Rembrandt and Old Masters exhibit. Most of the stuff is gathered from the permanent collection but it's nice to see it all grouped together. Another excellent Audio Guide. and really important pieces that were collected by railroad financiers specifically to be left to the Met- like Altman and some others.

Central Park Zoo. Jon and I hit this on Saturday and while it was full of very small children I had a great time seeing Sea Lions and the CUTEST baby Snow Monkey and the Rainforest exhibit.

I didn't do everything I meant to when I was up there, but then again I rarely do. There's a reason that it's the best city in the world. And if you aren't sure why, you should go up there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He Said He Can't Keep Up

The American Dream Home (Spoiler Alert: We Don't Own It.... Or Do We?)

Read It in Shock and Awe (which is pretty much how we felt about it too)