My Highway Continued

Where was I? I thought the man standing in the tall grasses was the dog's owner. So smiling, hot, dusty I called out "Is that your dog?" He looked over, shook his head no, and said "I don't know if she's alive. She was when I came by a while ago." He had made the exact same turnaround I had when I saw this creature on the side of the road. I think it says something about humanity when more than one person stops for someone or something that obviously needs help.

We stood there, staring at this creature who was barely five feet from these cars. She lifted her head and looked at us and we looked back at her. I had called HP, then they told me to call 911. So I called 911 and they said they would take my number and have Animal Control call me. When Animal Control finally called me, I had been dealing with this for about half an hour. The officer asked if I was planning on staying with the dog. I was indignant. of course I was staying with the dog. I didn't want to risk leaving her. It was noisy and dirty and we were inside an overpass on a highway.

THe man looked at me, as if trying to find the right words. "Um, are you planning on staying with her?"
"Yes." I was beginning to get irritated because I immediately thought that he was trying to get out of helping this animal too.
"Okay. My two and seven year old are in the car, still. If you're going to be okay with sitting here..."

I couldnt' believe it. Even though he had two very young children with him, he had pulled over. Of course my mom pointed out that maybe it was a ploy but it wasn't like he invited me to come check them out. It was just an observation. I told him to go and said that was nice of the kids to sit there quietly while he handled it. All I had was a cake with buttercream icing.

So I sat, reading Valley of the Dolls (highly recommend it as a summer read) and thinking about how sad this was. how someone had to be missing this dog. A couple of times she tried to get up but each time I would say "No, lay down." And she listened, meaning someone had taken the time to train her. I didn't have any way of giving her water without getting too close and didn't want to touch her. (In case you're ever in this situation you should never touch a hurt dog you don't know).

We sat, until finally I saw lights in the distance and knew that her ride was here. I kept talking to her, telling her it was going to be fine as the animal control officer used one of their loops to literally drag her out from under the barrier back towards the highway. She started shaking again as we lifted her into the dog box. I was so relieved and asked if I could call. The woman said sure, though I'm sure she thought I wouldn't. Then I asked what they were going to do with her. She said they would go to the vet, and if she was too hurt, she'd be euthanized. If not, she'd go to holding for her family to claim her. And if no one claimed her, she'd go to the shelter. I looked at her, an average looking black lab mix with graying muzzle and could feel tears building up.

Climbing back into my car I decided that if no one claimed her I was going to find someone else to take her. My parents have a few too many animals right now but I knew that if I begged and pleaded they'd take one more at least temporarily. Of course mom flipped out when I mentioned it.

So yesterday I made that call to check on her. I was kind of expecting the worst, gearing up for internal injuries that had required Euthanasia. But it turned into one of the best things that has happened in a long time. She told me that the dog was fine. That her hip was the only thing injured and best of all her owner had come in that morning after searching for her all weekend. He was taking her to the vet but she was healthy, except for the hip, spayed and ready to go home. It was the most elated I had felt in a long time, like I had actually helped someone in a way that was incredibly important (as any dog owner would tell you).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He Said He Can't Keep Up

The American Dream Home (Spoiler Alert: We Don't Own It.... Or Do We?)

Read It in Shock and Awe (which is pretty much how we felt about it too)