Valentine's Day

The irony is it's one of my favorite holidays, but I hate to plan anything for it. How much sense does that make, right? So I left it up to M., and as always, he came through in a much better way than he would probably give himself credit for. I left him completely in charge of it. So we went to dinner on Saturday night like so many other couples, but Sunday he made pizza, and his pizza is ridiculously good. I mean ridiculously. Like i crave it. Sunday afternoon I went for a run, and had him pick me up so we could go watch the sunset at the beach. We returned to the house in time for me to find flowers that he had managed to get while I was gone.

The best part of this weekend, however, was that Wrightsville Beach got snow! It snowed about 3 inches Friday night/Saturday a.m. and it was beautiful. How often do you see snow at the beach? Especially in NC, right? I love that we got to hang out by a fire and watch The Godfather Part II (because nothing says love like Al Pacino telling Diane Keaton she can't go, right?) and just talking about whatever.

Saturday night we went out to dinner at Indochine, this fantastic restauarant in Wilmington that I absolutely love, and while we were waiting at the bar i got to eavesdrop in on and participate in some really interesting conversation. there were some older folks there, who I think were there alone, and one of them asked a guy if he were from NC. to which he replied, "Oh no, I'm not from here. I'm from Jersey. You know, Bruce Springsteen and all that shit." M. and I have a new favorite quote.

At some point a seat opened up and I got to sit down for a few minutes, next to a very strange character drinking club soda and apparently not spending Valentine's Day weekend with his girlfriend. I was telling M> about this great character on "The mIllionaire Matchmaker" (I'll share that story in a moment) and he said, "My girlfriend is a personal chef in Baltimore." I jokingly mentioned that she was not the girl on the show and we chatted for a few minutes. when I said something about my horrible watching habits, he said, "You know, you could turn the TV off. Like, you could read this thing called a book." I laughed and said I supposed I could, amused since I'm a librarian and read all the time, to which he responded, "They also make picture books with really big type and lots of pictures. I like Harold and the Purple Crayon." I replied with, "Yea, I was helping a kid find that book last week" but he didn't take the bait and M. found it just as amusing as I did. I enjoy that people judge me based on the fact that I watch these terrible shows. That I LOVE.

The snow was mostly gone by Sunady, and we spent all day hanging out with each other- after all, Godfather II is an incredibly long movie. Then there was my run, then sunset on the beach, then pizza and Layer Cake Malbec (this awesome wine that I love), then watching the Olympics and judging as harshly as possible and cracking up when there were crashes and mistakes.

Fantastic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He Said He Can't Keep Up

The American Dream Home (Spoiler Alert: We Don't Own It.... Or Do We?)

Read It in Shock and Awe (which is pretty much how we felt about it too)