Um, Mrs. R....he said....

Usually I post this stuff on FB, but this is long, detailed and not appropriate for everyone. Let me set up the scene:
Typical afternoon
Second grade class working on research skills using old school encyclopedias (I know I don't have to do it but looking up stuff in encyclopedias is so gratifying!) and some research questions, including a drawing of an animal. Animals covered: Cheetahs, Elephants, Deer, Squirrels, Lions, Tigers, Sharks. Student A is female, Student G is male.
Table furthest away from me conversation: Reminder, this is a retelling.

Student A: I can see Kevin's butt.
Student G: Do you mean butt like his butt or but? Because my mom said there are two types.
Student A: Two types?
Student G: Yes, like "I have a can of soda BUT would like something else, or I see a butt."
Student A: Well, I see a butt.
Student G: Oh.
Student A: You forgot the other kind
Student G: What kind?
Student A: Vergina.
Student G: What's that?
Student A: It's another name for a butt on a girl.
Student G: Really? My mom did not tell me about it.
Student E: What did you say? A Vergina?
Student A: You should not be listening to us.
Student E walks up to me: Um, Mrs. R.... A said the word Verginia
Me: WHAT?
E: Vergina
Me: Don't say it again. A, could I see you please?
A: Yes, Mrs. R...?
Me: Did you say anything to anyone at your table about body parts?
A: Sure, but G said it first. I just said Vergina after he did.
Me: G, get over here please!
G: Yes?
Me: Did you say something to A about body parts?
G: Yes, I was telling her the differnce between "but" and "butt". One has one t, the other has two t's.
Me: Did you say anything else?
G: No, but she said "Vergina"
A: I did not! You did!
G: Well, actually, no I did not, because I still do not understand what it is.
Me: Both of you, sit down, NOW, and do not use that word again. Where did you hear that, A?
A: My older sister. She's 13.
Me: Is she? Great.
Student O: Mrs. R, E just asked me what a Vergina is?
Me: WHAT? Did you tell him?
Student O: I said it was a part on a girl.
Me: Thank you. E, I need to see you please!
So, what happened was individual interviews with all the students. then, this phone call to the office:
Me: I think I need admin down here in the media center
Front: Is everything okay?
Me: Yes, but something is about to happen. I'm not exactly sure what. Can you send me our AP?
AP: Yes?
I tell her the story, then they coach me through redirecting.
AP: I'm going to call their parents tonight and confirm that we met and you did not do anything to lead the conversation in this direction. You didn't, right?
Me: No! We're just working on basic animal research- where it lives, what it eats, a drawing...ahhhh.

Yay elementary school! In my head, I imagined dinner conversations to go like this,

Student: Today in media, we learned about Verginas!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He Said He Can't Keep Up

The American Dream Home (Spoiler Alert: We Don't Own It.... Or Do We?)

Read It in Shock and Awe (which is pretty much how we felt about it too)