Oh, This Baby is Hungry

I officially "turned the corner" about 2 weeks ago. I woke up one morning and did not immediately want to throw up. Success, but cautious success as I went through the day wondering when the feeling was going to hit again. I woke up the next morning, and same thing. About five days into this, Matt commented he hadn't been woken up to the sound of his wife chomping on cereal in bed. I commented back that, in fact, I hadn't had to, but no need to put the cereal away quite yet. So there was this great "honeymoon" period (my doctor called it that), and I was pretty excited about. Now, the honeymoon period has turned into a hunger period. I checked, and the baby is now supposed to be the size of an avocado. So WHY is it demanding SO MUCH FOOD? Oh, and you think some carrot sticks are going to satisfy it? Doubtful. Highly doubtful. The baby prefers homemade baked goods, pizza, and fruit. And if these things can happen on a regular basis, so much the better. I'm beginning to get concerned. We have a guideline for what it means to eat for two. And on average, most women only need about an extra 300 calories a day. That's not a lot of calories. That's an apple and peanut butter with a glass of milk (healthy!) or that's half a bowl of ice cream with a little chocolate sauce (what the baby actually wants, even though I don't even EAT ice cream). Guess who wins? Someone at work asked if I felt like I had an alien controlling me and I could honestly say yes. Am I tired? Ask the baby. Do I want fill-in-the-blank for a meal? Ask the baby. Should I go on a run? Ask the baby. It's kind of like a magic 8-ball. The responses are very similar. And must be obeyed as soon as possible. Sometimes I have this eerie out of body experience in which I think "What is going on?" before I remember that it's not really me thinking, that it is, in fact, the baby. Sweet pea is very stubborn. On that note, it's time for a snack. Another one....

Comments

Elizabeth said…
LOL! I know EXACTLY how you feel! We called Fe "The Boss" the whole pregnancy!

Congratulations, and I'm glad you're feeling better!

Through both of mine so far, the doctors have not been concerned at all about over-eating. "Eat to satisfy your hunger" and "drink to thirst." You'll hear it a lot in the coming months. :) Your body and your baby know what you need! When I told my doc this time I was concerned that all I seem to be able to eat are milkshakes, she said, "ok- eat some veggies and protein. If Baby still wants milkshake, have one a day! You probably need the calcium." Sweet!

Popular posts from this blog

He Said He Can't Keep Up

The American Dream Home (Spoiler Alert: We Don't Own It.... Or Do We?)

Read It in Shock and Awe (which is pretty much how we felt about it too)