What We are Working with Here

The above photos are the befores. It was right after we bought the house, before demo began and when we believed this project was not only completely doable but totally going to be worth it. On my optimistic mornings I still believe that but currently I question the rationale, especially as the baby kicks me. I believe her athletic future is great. Anyway, back to the photos. What you have is the way the kitchen looked when we purchased. It's not the original kitchen- it was most likely redone in the 80s when some things were replaced in other parts of the house and then never touched again. But the concept fascinates me. Hopefully you can see that even the ceiling is wallpapered in blue gingham. The second photo is of the sunroom directly off the kitchen and dining room. Why, yes m'am, those ARE real Confederate bonds that are the backs of the shelves! Matt and I would be rolling in cash had the "Great Conflict" come to a different end. Of course if it had I highly doubt people would be wallpapering with bonds. So, we now have money in the walls. Really. Step one was to take out the wall between the kitchen and the dining room, and to change the layout of the kitchen- it had a really weird flow. So here's what the kitchen looked like right after demo: This week is an important week in our project. We are expecting our cabinets to arrive this week and go in next week, we have to finalize the granite, and the tile has been going into the master bathroom. So there is a lot going on. Matt is spending a lot of evenings there priming and painting (one area where you can save significant money but i swear it takes days off your life) and I have been busily remembering to put my feet up when they are swelling and not to inhale fumes. One thing we didn't realize about Raleigh, which is kind of interesting, is the ban on garbage disposals. I'm sure a ton of you already knew this but I was unaware. The ban was put in place to stop people from pouring grease down the sink. If you have a garbage disposal, you are all set, but if you are building new or renovating (of course, I think it goes with the smoke detectors), you can't have one. I was curious about this because I would love to know what bearing garbage disposals have on people choosing to pour grease and other pollutants down the drain. Just so you know, we are on the side of NEVER doing that, it's BAD. Back to the kitchen. Next week the cabinets are supposed to go in and I am turning into a nervous wreck about it. We only have measurements from one person, and these measurements determine what we will end up with. What if it's off by an inch and a half or something? Too pessimistic? Thoughts? One serious reality check, especially after the unfortunate PowerBall drawing on Saturday night, was that we have delightfully expensive taste on a budget that is not so delightfully able to handle it. It comes down to making some choices that make me cringe slightly, but will make Southern Living cringe more. So it looks like we won't be on the Model Homes Tour this year, but what I'm hoping for is a place that is prepared for a baby. Walls intact, electrical updated, plumbing done.... and some nursery furniture wouldn't hurt. I'm already moving forward into the design aspect. Which means I'm busy thinking about paint colors and coordinating tile, while we still don't have drinkable water. Hmm....priorities, anyone? Here's to potable water and beautiful paint in the ITB!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He Said He Can't Keep Up

The American Dream Home (Spoiler Alert: We Don't Own It.... Or Do We?)

Read It in Shock and Awe (which is pretty much how we felt about it too)